A couple of weeks ago i was sent an email by a lady who does the PR for 'Total' Yoghurt, asking me if i would be interested in making something for my blog with the yoghurt. As an Arab, and married to a Greek, my automatic reflex was to scream YES! I use the yoghurt all the time generally as no other will do.
Total full fat yoghurt is my favourite. I use it instead of Labné drizzled with olive oil and dried mint and some freshly cut tomatoes and cucumber with a sprinkling of salt. Eaten with crisp flat bread and hey presto that's my breakfast. I am more of a savoury kind of girl for breakkie!
This cake was made using TOTAL yoghurt. I adds a nice creaminess to the cake and also creates a very moist and soft spongy batter that has a bit of weight. It also uses vegetable oil. So its perfect!
180g all purpose flour (1 1/2 cup)
280g yoghurt (1 cup)
2t baking powder
1/2 t salt
3 large eggs
2 t grated lemon zest
1t Vanilla extract
120ml Vegetable oil (1/2 cup)
200g caster sugar (1 cup)
65g granulated sugar (1/3 cup)
80ml lemon juice (1/3 cup)
- Put your oven on at 180 degrees or 350 degrees F.
- Line a small loaf pan and set aside.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder and salt and sift.
- In another bowl mix together the Total Yoghurt, the 200g Caster sugar, the eggs, zest and vanilla.
- Slowly whisk the flour mix into this, then add the vegetable oil and fold gently.
- Bake for about 45-50 minutes.
- While it is baking add the juice of lemon and sugar in to a pan and bring to slight rumble till all the sugar dissolves, set it aside till the cake is ready.
- When the cake is ready, let it cool for about 15 minutes and then prick it with a few holes and drizzle the sweetened lemon juice over the top.
- Let it cool and then serve.
This is an easy cake and full of zingy flavour. Great for the end of summer. You can substitute the flavour to any citrus fruit you like....