My favourite breakfast is not Waffles or pancakes, it would be scrambled eggs, with salmon or some Labné with cucumber and tomatoes and mint with lots of oil. So when i made this next dish it was totally up my street.
I love Gougéres and the fact that these little babies were filled with all that I love makes it even better. It turned out like a sort of soft scrambled egg with lovely soft melted cheese inside with crunchy melted Gruyere and topped with cayenne and smoked salmon. One lovely dish with many many components!
I added a squeeze of lemon right at the end to give it a little sharpness as it was all too creamy for me.
Also i was very naughty and bad as i didn't stay away from the oven while these were cooking. I opened the oven door and they slightly deflated. They are supposed to be more round like a profiterole almost, but savoury!
The way to make this is like choux pastry which is of course infamous with the above mentioned. Once you have made profiteroles, this will be a cinch. But if you have not then don't be too alarmed. It may sound a little daunting but it really isn't....
These are a perfect little treat and the best thing about this is you can make this recipe and freeze it for up to a month in its raw state, and if you already baked them you can keep them in the fridge and re-crisp them in an oven just before serving. Perfect.
You may even be lucky to find some lovely crunchy crispy cheese crisps at the corner of your gougéres like i did. Yumm!
310 ml of skimmed milk
140g unsalted butter
140g plain flour
150 grated Gruyere cheese
1t black pepper
a pinch of fresh thyme
1 t cayenne pepper
1 egg for egg wash
1 pinch of salt for top
- Pre heat the oven to 190 degrees C.
- Sift the flour a couple of times
- Place the salt, butter and milk in a pan and bring it up to the boil.
- When the liquid has boiled, add the flour and mix vigorously.
- This will create a batter that removes itself away from the pan which is great. This is what you are looking for.
- You need to keep doing this till you feel enough liquid has left the mixture. Maybe a couple of minutes at best.
- When it s done, place in a kitchen aid or mixer.
- Begin but using a paddle or a whisk.
- Begin to incorporate air and slightly cool it down because you need to add the eggs to it.
- Add the eggs one at a time.
- The mix may look like it is going to split but keep going. It will come together and become silky smooth.
- At this point, add 100g of the cheese, pepper and fresh thyme and mix.
- Get a prepared baking sheet and begin by making medium sized rounds. This recipe can make you many little ones, maybe 25, but i made 12 medium sized ones. This is enough for 6 people. I would serve 2 per person.
- Once you have placed the spoon fulls of batter on to your baking tray, lightly egg was them and sprinkle again with Gruyere and a pinch of cayenne and salt.
- Place in an already heated oven and bake for about 25-30 minutes.
- DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR. If you do this will cause them to deflate.
- Just be patient and wait. It will be worth it trust me. I was just a little piggy and could not wait.
- Once they have finished cooking, let them cool down and then place the salmon on top and sever with a squeeze of lemon and parsley.
Whats your favourite breakfast?