I literally began obsessing about making it and was thinking how i was going to get out of a meeting to run home in time to make this before my husband came home from work. I like to do things and have them ready so he can see the finished result. It always looks so much better.
So finally my meeting was over i ran home and made this but multiplied the recipe by 2 as i knew deep down that it was going to be amazing. And boy was i right.
This was the most delicious and moist cake i have had. Olive oil is the secret ingredient. Not vegetable oil, but Olive oil. These types of chiffon cakes are just sublime and have such an exquisite taste and texture. The sheer fact that i made 2 and they were both gone in a blink of an eye says A LOT! I made the second one for my mother in law, and may i just say that she only got a slice by the time we saw her as my husband and i worked our way through it. How shameful.
Thank you HH for the wonderful recipe and i also blame you for my ever expanding waistline.....
So no for the gorgeous recipe that will not fail you.
3 small Courgettes, grated
240g all purpose flour
1 t baking powder
1/2 t bicarbonate of soda
1 t salt
2 t ground cinnamon
1 t ground ginger
1/2 t ground nutmeg
275g caster sugar
240ml extra virgin olive oil
2 t pure vanilla extract.
60 ml lemon juice
130g icing sugar
65g Granulated sugar
- Put your oven to 180 degrees and begin by preparing your tin. I just grease it slightly and flour it and pour the excess out.
- Beat the sugar eggs and olive oil together till they are nice and fluffy, approximately 3 minutes of whisking.
- Then add the vanilla, and add the dry ingredients all at once, but mix it slowly.
- Scrape down the sides and add the grated courgettes.
- Once all the ingredients are incorporated, place into your baking tin, and bake for about 45-50 minutes, rotating the pan half way so you get even browning on the cake.
- To make the icing, mix together the lemon and caster sugar and then the icing sugar and mix till smooth.
- When the cake is ready let it cool for about 10 minutes and then place on a wire rack. Use a pastry brush and glaze the cake.
- Let it set and then eat it!
Cut huge slices and don't be shy to gobble this whole thing down. Fan Bloody tastic!