The smell as i walked past took me back 20 years, and i knew what i had to do. So as i walked home with a seriously fast pace, i was thinking of what i needed to try andre create the memory of those days. Smell is a wonderful thing, and its always amazing to me how it can evoke such strong and vivid feelings. This is how i work most of the time. From smells and thoughts of the past. My sister always laughs at me and tells me to get over it, move on and just forget the past, but so many of my feelings and food come from there that it has made me the person that i am today.
So back to the crab cakes.... Delicious is all i can say and can be made and ready to eat in under 10 minutes.
300g fresh white crab meat
small bunch of mint
small bunch of coriander
half a red chilli deseeded
red chilli jam
1/2 egg, whisked
- Flake the crab meat, add the herbs, sliced chilli, dash of sesame oil, and 2 teaspoons of jam and 2 teaspoons of soya sauce.
- Add a squeeze of lime
- Add the egg and mix.
- Mix everythign together and shape into patties.
- This gets a bit tricky as this crab is very flaky but do not worry. It will come together.
- Once you have made some patties, get some plain flour and flour each side and the place in a hot pan to sear it together.
- They should take minimal time to sear. All you are doing is trying to get a golden colour as the crab is already cooked.
- When ready, place on top of a salad of choice, i just used bean sprouts, with some corinader and mint and replicated the sauce of the crab.
- Sesame, chillijam, coriander, mint, soya sauce and lime juice.
Im hoping to start a Crustacean craze with these delicious, crunchy, yet tender mouthfuls of coral flecked meat.