When my family used to holiday in South of France, we used to go to this lovely little restaurant called La Canna Suisse. It was run by twin sisters and 2 Dalmatians, which my whole family were scared of, but for some strange reason we kept going back. This place was simple, only had one thing on the menu, as far as i knew, and was so scrumptious and delicious even for a child at the young age of 10.
Raclette is a wonderful soft cheese that i placed under and grill till it starts bubbling and then scraped onto your plate served with boiled new potatoes, cornichons, and pickled onions. I LOVE this dish and always cook dishes that remind of good times. Now that my family are all over the world i try to recreate the dishes that remind me of the unity we once had, together, ALWAYS.
This dish is a perfect combination of memories, good flavour and comfort. It tastes divine and looks great and a little more refined that the traditional way of serving raclette. Although i would not reject the original for sure.
For the pastry:
500g Plain flour
250 g Butter
1 large pinch of salt
2 whole eggs
2-3 T water
200g Raclette cheese
1 red chili chopped
15 pickled cocktail onions
100 g new potatoes
- Begin with making the pastry. Mix the flour with the butter and salt till you get a lumpy crumble consistency.
- Add the two eggs and mix well. Add 2T of water to combine and a little more if you need it. But don't go crazy. You want it to just combine and not be wet. Once combined cut into 4 small pieces of 3 larger pieces. Flatten and place in the fridge wrapped in cling film for up to half an hour.
- Boil the potatoes in salted water till half cooked let them cool down and then slice them.
- Slice the cheese, chili and 90% of the cornichons and onions.
- Mix them together and season with salt and pepper.
- Get the pastry out and roll it out into a thickness of a 50p piece. fill in the centre with the mix trying to make sure the cheese is mainly on the top. To make the edges of the galette, take a piece and fold in then take another piece and fold in again till you get all the way round.
- Add the egg wash and cook in the oven at 190-200 degrees.
- Once finished cooking add the remaining chopped gherkins, chili and onions on top and serve.